Delay skin aging with the right diet
Certain eating habits promote healthy, youthful-looking skin. Nutritionist Nicole Hopsegger from the Cleveland Clinic in the US explains what factors influence skin aging and lists different foods that are beneficial for the appearance and health of the skin.
Causes of premature skin aging
It is a completely normal process that the High changed with age. But there are also factors that can speed up this process. a reason for one increased skin aging they can be, for example, oxidative stress, inflammation and dry skin.
on Oxidative stress damage free radicals the cells. Free radicals are natural products of human metabolism, exposure to sunlight and lifestyle factors such as unhealthy diet, alcohol use and smoking, the expert said in a Cleveland Clinic news release.
inflammation in the body can also have negative effects on the skin. When people eat a lot of processed foods, they can increase inflammation throughout the body.
skin dryness It occurs when cells are not adequately hydrated. As a result of this lack of moisture supply, smallest skin cells. Certain soaps, as well as excessive sun exposure, can contribute to dry skin.
However, it is possible to protect against many of these accelerated skin aging factors. “Wear sunscreen, limit your alcohol intake, quit smoking, and stay hydrated‘, advises the expert. However, when it comes to nutrition, there are a few more things to consider.
Sugar and fast food are bad for the skin
Especially fried food, Fast food and zucker harm the health of our skin, according to the nutritionist.
„Eating too many processed or refined sugars and high-glycemic foods (dairy, carbs, and unhealthy fats) can actually cause inflammation and skin irritation, and potentially promote skin aging“he explained grasshopper.
Healthy nutrition counteracts skin aging
On the other hand, eating the right foods can be beneficial for your skin. According to the expert, for example, fruits, vegetables, whole grain products, nuts, oily fish and legumes can contribute to this. healthy and young skin keep. This is because it includes nutrients.
fatty acids and antioxidants
Essential fatty acids for example Omega-3 fatty acids Help keep cells hydrated. Omega-3 fatty acids also reduce existing inflammation, improve cholesterol levels, help maintain collagen in the skin and make it firmer, explains Hopsegger.
antioxidants and the calls Phytonährstoffe in turn protects cells by reducing free radicals in the body, continues the expert. This begs the question, which foods contain omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants so beneficial for the skin?
Fish best source of omega-3 fatty acids
„The best source of omega-3 fatty acids is fish“, it says grasshopper. To protect the skin with omega-3 fatty acids, the nutritionist recommends consuming:
- and sardines.
For people who don’t eat fish, there are also some plant-based alternatives to consuming omega-3 fatty acids, such as:
- flaxseed (preferably ground seeds because the body has a harder time absorbing nutrients from whole flaxseed),
- Walnuts and almonds (the nutritionist mentions almond butter with banana as another tip to improve skin),
- canola or soybean oil.
Foods with antioxidants and vitamin C
In addition to antioxidants, some types of fruits and vegetables also contain a lot of vitamin C, which helps fight wrinkles that appear. Good fountains are loud grasshopper:
- citric fruits,
Vitamin E helps prevent cell damage.
Even Vitamin E can help keep skin healthy. The antioxidant helps prevent cell damage. To protect the skin, the expert recommends the consumption of almonds and sunflower seeds.
Skin protection by polyphenols
polyphenol They are powerful antioxidants. They are found in a variety of foods. The nutritionist lists the following as important sources of polyphenols:
- tea and coffee: There is a study that showed that polyphenols in coffee and green tea can help prevent photoaging and hyperpigmentation.
- Grapes: Grape seeds, skin and juice contain healthy polyphenols such as resveratrol, phenolic acids, anthocyanins and flavonoids.
- chocolate: Dark chocolate in particular not only contains antioxidants and vitamins, but also flavanols, a type of polyphenols. These reduce the rough structure of the skin and protect against sun damage. However, it must contain at least 60 to 70 percent cocoa.
“In general, it is best plant based eating and the amount of Reduce processed foods and alcohol.to take care of your skin. Eating the recommended foods regularly will also make you feel better, and your skin will reflect this,” Hopsegger summarizes. (as)
Author and source of information
This text corresponds to the requirements of the specialized medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies and has been reviewed by medical professionals.
- Cleveland Clinic: 23 Foods to Eat for Healthier Skin (veröffentlicht 03.24.2022), Cleveland Clinic
- Y. Fukushima, Y. Takahashi, Y. Kishimoto, C. Taguchi, N. Suzuki, M. Yokoyama, K. Kondo: Consumption of polyphenols in coffee and green tea alleviates skin photoaging in healthy Japanese women; in: Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology (veröffentlicht 10.02.2022 Volume 2020:13 pages 165—172), Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigative Dermatology
This article contains general advice only and should not be used for self-diagnosis or treatment. It cannot replace a visit to the doctor.